demos
forum
pricing
faq - Frequently asked Questions
contact
partners
Mastering Glossary

more...
In case you would like to begin mastering with us, please click this button, fill out the contact-form and we will get back to you with your personal account for up/downloading and detailed instructions about the whole procedure.
Musicstudio

XARC Mastering

Forum

Forum

View previous topic - View next topic  
rolo95

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: HI LORENZ...SOME HOW DO I....? Reply with quote

Hi lorenz...
excelent site...
and awesome feedback from customers

i came here by accident..searching for masterinf info
i have a project studio in mexico
and right now im doing my "home brew " mastering
as my projects are very low budget
but i want to offer my clients the " PRO " mastering option
and it think we goona make biz soon

1 question...
when im goona send you the unmastered wav
does it need to be 24 bit.... i still use 16 bit on my projects
as my hardware can do 24 but dont have large enough drives yet

ok can i send you 16/44.1 ( thast the format i work now)
and.
what RMS level you need....
i heard if i send you a TOO HOTT mix... you cant work with...
(you need to lower the level of it to make room form the comrpession and limiting )

what is the IDEAL RMS level when i send my mix to ya
so the questions are
1.- can i send you 16/44.1 files
2.- what RMS level you need the files.

TXS man...
awesome site...
dont have listened to the wavs examples...
im at the office
Greets from MEXICO
Rolo.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Lorenz @ XARC Mastering
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rolo and hello to Mexico from Germany,

nice to meet you and thanks for the friendly words Smile Let me get to your questions directly:

1.) If there is no other option you can of course send 16bit files. Though I would ask you to double check if you cannot at least export the mixdown at 24bit from the application (e.g. Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.) you are using. Even if the underlying tracks of your mix are only 16bit a new wordlength of up to 72bit+ will be created when they are being mixed together or when you apply effects - in fact even the smallest volume change on a 16bit track creates a new wordlength which you would quantize over and over to 16bit. So I am sure you can at least export the mixdown at 24bit and alone that will give us a great benefit.

2.) There is no optimal RMS level that you should achieve when mixing. At this stage you should have absolutely no effects on the master buss, no compression, no limiting, no EQ, etc. and make sure that the master doesn´t clip, e.g. go "above" 0dBFS (and it actually can´t and thats why it clips). So summarized: when mixing down, don´t care about RMS, but only care about the highest peaks and that these stay under 0dBFS.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and I wish a nice remaining Sunday.

Regards,
Lorenz
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    XARC Mastering - The Online Mastering Studio - Outstanding Audio Mastering Online Forum Index -> Everything About Mastering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: