demos
forum
pricing
faq - Frequently asked Questions
contact
partners
Mastering Glossary

more...
In case you would like to begin mastering with us, please click this button, fill out the contact-form and we will get back to you with your personal account for up/downloading and detailed instructions about the whole procedure.
Musicstudio

XARC Mastering

Forum

Forum

View previous topic - View next topic  
skeetervh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: mastering for vinyl Reply with quote

I have a 3-part question.

1) Are there differences when mastering for vinyl vs CD as the main final product?

2) If so, does XARC offer some sort of 'for-vinyl' mastering?

3) Where is a good place to get vinyls made?

Thanks very much.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Lorenz @ XARC Mastering
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello skeetervh,

thank you for your interest and please let me answer your questions directly.

1) Yes, ideally there are differences at the pre-mastering for these both medias. The pre-mastering for Vinyl should have a phase-coherent bass area, a different treated highend, no peak-limiting and a lower overall RMS since it is an analog format that doesn´t have the limitations of the digital domain. Additionally a higher resolution can be used (I deliver at 88,2kHz 24bit here) to make optimal use of this media. I say "ideally" because it is as well possible to cut from the CD masters. Of course the cutting engineer will have to do the mentioned preparations on top of the already mastered and dithered record and can´t undo the harder compression / peak-limiting nor recover the lost resolution. At the end of the day he will be thankful that you have supplied a master that can be cut directly to Vinyl without altering the sound and you will hold a great sounding record in your hands.

2) Yes, pre-mastering for Vinyl and CD is possible. In relation, please also refer to http://www.xarcmastering.com/services/

3) This would greatly depend on the country you are living in since shipping from a foreign country can quickly result in very high shipping costs, especially when having the weight of the Vinyl´s in mind. Since some very complex techniques are involved during the cutting process, it also depends on the style of music if you are looking for the best quality. Some cutting engineers have specialized in this or that genre and are known to cut the best Vinyl´s of either. Your best call would be to look up your favorite Vinyl which is similar to the style your are doing by yourself and then find out (Google should help here) who did cut the record.

I hope I was able to help you.

Thank you and regards,
Lorenz
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Snafic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hy!
I know that a Track has to be different mastered For Vinyl then for a CD. But my question is, if i would take the Vinylmaster to make a CD later, would it be so very terrible?
Greets
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lorenz @ XARC Mastering
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snafic wrote:
Hy!
I know that a Track has to be different mastered For Vinyl then for a CD. But my question is, if i would take the Vinylmaster to make a CD later, would it be so very terrible?
Greets

Hi Snafic,

not necessary terrible, but sounding pretty different than what it is "supposed" to sound when it would have been mastered for CD - e.g. the high-end would be to "dark", the loudness to low and the format also can´t be burned to a Audio CD since I deliver Vinyl masters at 88,2kHz 24bit (as mentioned in the above post) and a CD can only hold 44,1kHz 16bit. You hence would have to resample and re-dither(or quantize which I wouldn´t recommend) the material which will then also "destroy" various aspects of the previous mastering like for example the dithering and peak-limiting since you are creating a new word length through this processing.

So yes, it can be done if you are facing a worst case scenario like that you don´t have time left before the CD release date to let the mastering studio create a CD master, but I would strongly recommend against this method.

Thank you and Regards,
Lorenz
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    XARC Mastering - The Online Mastering Studio - Outstanding Audio Mastering Online Forum Index -> Everything About Mastering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: